We asked Laura, a member of our Visitor Services team, to come up with her top ten favourite things to do in and around Port Hardy. Here it is straight from someone who grew up here! Check out the rest of the website for more information.
Starting with number 10:
10. Grab a group of friends and go bowling at North Island Lanes.
9. Leap into the Quatse Salmon Stewardship Centre and learn everything to know about a salmon.
8. Relax and go camping in one of our campgrounds in Port Hardy!
7. Head to the west coast and visit San Josef Bay. On your own or with one of our local tour operators. San Josef Bay is beautiful and a must see.
6. Check out the North Island Mall and while you are there get some bubble tea! Bubble tea is all the new craze and is delicious, with different flavours every day!
5. Walk the Sea Wall in the evening. The Seawall which is 0.2 km spans from Government Wharf to Tsulquate Park. In the evening the wall is illuminated by blue light.
4. Grab a coffee or a snack at one of our local eateries. After work or even for my lunch break I love to order a my favourite sandwich, sit down and read a book.
3. Watch the sunset and roast some marshmallows at Storey’s Beach, our sandiest beach in Port Hardy, great for the kids to play on or to explore yourself.
2. Hike the Fort Rupert Commuter Trail. This trail consists of 4 km of boardwalk and gravel one way. It’s just a trail everyone wants to do in Port Hardy. One of the trail heads is at Storey’s Beach so once you complete the trail you can relax at the beach.
1. Enjoy the day at a Lake. I love sitting down and relaxing by a lake. Beaver Lake is just off the turnoff to Port Alice and has a cute little dock. The Beaver Lake Forest Trail will take you about 45 minutes around the lake and is super simple. If you’re looking for a campsite by the lake then Alice Lake or Georgie Lake is your friend.