Get acquainted with Port Hardy. Experience local culture, discover signatory features and explore the community attractions that captivate Port Hardy resident’s year round!
1. Explore the Hardy Bay Seawall, the docks, marinas and Carrot Park.
2. Hike or walk wild & beautiful trails winding through forests and beaches.
3. Discover rich First Nations history and Port Hardy’s colourful past.
4. Tour shops and boutiques for that special gift.
5. Enjoy spectacular views as you relax with a glass of wine and a great meal.
6. Entertain the kids at local beaches and attractions.
7. Observe amazing wildlife and nature, you are surrounded by it.
8. Get out on the water with a fishing charter or scenic boat ride.
9. Stop for a coffee and have a chat with some of our awesome locals.
10. Head out to the rugged and wild West Coast on a guided day trip.
Port Hardy offers a wide range of fun, family friendly activities. From toddlers to teens, your family is sure to enjoy exploring Port Hardy.
- Storey’s Beach. Low-tide at Storey’s Beach offers miles of sand, perfect for sand walks & sand castles, to inter-tidal treasure hunting!
- Exploring tide pools in Hardy Bay. Don’t be fooled by this rocky shore, a low tide in Hardy Bay invites discovery of marine treasures.
- Leap in to the world of salmon at the Quatse River Hatchery & Salmon Stewardship Centre! Learn all about Pacific Salmon on a guided tour. From salmon scales & killer whales to a donut aquarium and an awesome kids-zone, the Salmon Centre offers a family experience not to miss!
- Catch a fish at the Rotary fishing park! Located off the Coast-guard wharf, grow a love for fishing while their young. Life jackets available, bring your own rod, lures, and license.
- Enjoy a tasty lunch and a warm cup of hot chocolate at the Cafe Guido or maybe find a souvenir in the Book Nook and West Coast Community Craft Shop!
- Play at a local park! Visit Carrot Park down town to parks throughout the community, let the kiddos get some energy out before continuing on your adventures!
- Check out the community calendar, From BC Family Fishing Weekend to Filomi Days and the annual Santa Claus Parade, Port Hardy offers family-friendly community events all throughout the year. Find out what is happening during your visit!
Don’t mind the rain, gumboots & rain jacket required!
No stranger to the rain, Port Hardy and Northern Vancouver Island can attribute the surrounding lush rainforest to the temperate climate and all the added moisture! But don’t worry, just because it’s raining you don’t have to be a hermit. Here’s a list of our favourite rainy day activities!
- Puddle jumping. Splash, stomp, step, just don’t swim!
- Storm watch at the Blow Hole! Weathered away by ocean waves, rocky structures at Thomas Point create a “blow hole” spray with stormy seas, synomnous to that of the blow of a whale.
- Salmon spotting! Fall brings rain and rain brings fish. Walk along the Quatse Trail Loop and watch for spawning Pacific Salmon as they migrate back to their spawning grounds!
- Visit the Quatse River Hatchery & Salmon Centre! Release some fry (spring) or take in an egg take (fall). The fish aren’t bothered by rain, so don’t mind if you get a bit wet!
- Talented with flippers, a regulator and dry suit? Wet suit if your brave! Go for a dive! Port Hardy offers some of British Columbia’s most spectacular dive sites from the shore of Hardy Bay & Bear Cove!
- After all the wet fun, warm up with a tasty hot chocolate & fresh baked goody at the Cafe Guido, browse the local craft shop or cozy up with a west coast read in the Book Nook.
- Enjoy a bowl of soul-warming soup and a delicious sandwich at the Market Street Cafe. The fresh baked bread is yummy and filling!